Memorial complex Slobodište was built at the southwestern town ridge, on the slopes of the hill Bagdala, where during the fascist occupation (1941‒44) was the camp with the execution site for 1650 civilians and patriots. The largest shooting occurred on June 29th 1943, when the occupier, as a form of the reprisal, shot 324 people (162 members of the Yugoslav army in Fatherland and 162 members of the partisan movement). On the area once covered with the camp, today is the memorial complex with the mass graves.
A central monumental part belongs to the concept realized by the architect Bogdan Boganović in the period 1961–65, and by the idea of Dobrica Cosić. The monumental elements are The Execution Site and The Mounds, as well as two amphitheatres – The Valley of Respect, with the flock of stone birds aiming up to the sky, and The Valley of the Living, which can be accessed through the round The Gate of the Sun. The entire complex gist is determined with the two suggestive messages: “Under this sky, man, straighten up” and “Bread and freedom are the same to us”.
In 1978, under the projects of the architects Bogdan Bogdanović and Svetislav Živić, there was also built The House of Slobodište, purposed for the research work and exhibiton activities.
The entire complex was declared a cultural property, a remarkable place of the great importance (RS Official Gazette, No 28/83).