Since its founding, on December 15th 1951, the National Museum Kruševac performs its basic activity through collection, preservation, protection and exhibition of the movable cultural property and the remains of the native land material culture. Over the decades, it has grown into a significant cultural institution, building a reputable position in the museum network of Serbia. Located in the area of the archaeological park, museum presents the inevitable destination when it comes to cultural and touristic offer of the town.
Initially located in the House of Simić, over the time museum has outgrown the very building, which became too small for the newly created museum needs. In year 1969 it was given a new place to use, this time within the complex of the Kruševac Fortress. A permanent museum exhibition, evidencing the historical and cultural development and transformation of Kruševac and its surrounding, is nowadays settled in the Neoclassical edifice of the former Gymnasium, built in 1863, with the Secessionist decorative elements from 1908. The Museum collection contains about twenty-three thousand museum items of the natural history, archaeological, ethnological, historical, cultural-historical and visual arts character, whose historical stride is over six millenniums long – from prehistory, over the antiquity and the Middle Ages, through the Ottoman supremacy period and the restoration of the Serbian statehood, up to the middle XX century.
The prehistoric and antique jewellery and pottery, the enviable collection of the medieval weapons, tools, jewellery and ceramics, a replica of the Prince Lazar’s dress, rich ethnological collection, the legacy of the Binički family with musical manuscript of The March on the Drina and the model of The Vidovdan Temple by Meštrovic, are only some of the exhibits from the permanent Museum exhibition exceeding the local framework with its cultural-historical significance.
Apart from the exhibition activities, Museum dedicates a due attention to the research, publishing, cultural-educational and pedagogical activities, as well as to the affirmation of the authentic values of the native land. In this regard, Museum presents rich cultural heritage through exhibitions, catalogues, professional publications and media. As a significant moment in the cultural-educational and pedagogical work, the Museum provides organization of lectures and professional guidance through the permanent exhibition, the use of Museum library resources, the assistance in professional papers preparation and the possibility of teaching and extracurricular activities realization, where cooperation with educational institutions at the local level should be particularly emphasized. National Museum Kruševac achieves its policy also through the readiness for cooperation with institutions and individuals through lectures, seminars, promotions, tribunes, musical shows and similar events, all of which are aimed at the popularization of the museum contents, as well as at the greater participation of public in their creation.
Besides the central building in the medieval Kruševac Fortress, within the framework of the National Museum Kruševac there are also The House of Simić, The Art Gallery and The Memorial Complex Slobodište.
Professional guide services are available to visitors for the tour around all Museum facilities in town. The exhibition guidance is available in Serbian and English language.
National Museum Kruševac is open for visitors every day, including weekends and holidays, 8–20h.
TICKETS: individual 200 dinars; group visits (min. 5 people) 150 dinars
visitors per year
sets of exhibitions
years behind us